As the winter season closes in on us, I am reminded of my very few reasons why I like this season;
1. Fashion – Clothes, new season to shop for 😊
2. Snowboarding/ Skiing. I can hit the slopes!!
3. New warm menus come out at restaurants and cafés.
I have a HUGE love for Hot Chocolates, soups, bone broths and all things warm. May in New Zealand hasn’t actually been all that cold either. I find that we’re not lighting our fireplace as often as we were this time last year, although as my cat decides to stay inside a lot more often than usual, spending entire days sleeping beside me and on my lap, I’ve come to wonder if I no longer feel the chill as much as I did before.
Speaking of fashion, more importantly clothes, my favourite stores to go to are; Forever New, Max, Witchery and Seed. I thought I would let you all know that today Forever New is launching its’ official Vogue online shopping night event. This was launched a 12pm AEST and closes at midnight tonight, with a full 20% off full priced items!! Which is great because that means I can go shopping tonight too!!
My fashion style and sense is definitely a lot different to most, I vary between gym clothes and semi-formal to formal attire, I don’t seem to wear anything in between haha. So, if you would like to get in on the sale, all you have to do is click the link above, the discount will be automatically set at the checkout, or you can head to Forever New online. *This blog post is in no way sponsored* I also have quite the wardrobe of clothes that almost represent a Forever New Store haha, I’ve started designing and making my own clothes too, but you’ll all have to stick around to see how that goes. I thought I would share this with you all, as the best things in life are always shared
I have also gone on a mission to start hunting down the best places in Auckland to visit and eat at for the winter season. As the days get shorter and the temperatures get lower, we automatically start wanting to sleep in, eating and storing more food and falling into a hibernation period until spring. I’m here to help you.
I’m a huge fan of bone broths, last year Zach and I started making our own at home, this was also when I came up with my home-made bread recipe that you can check out here. If you’d like a recipe to keep your body going and your immune system in check I recommend increasing your fruit and vegetable intake, you can also check out my reds juice recipe or my greens juice recipe. These are always great. Last year I was getting sick quite a bit, when winter came around I was sick straight away, no one likes to be sick, so I’ve decided to share with you 6 ways to help your immune system get stronger to help you get over the flu or at least survive through it 😊
1. Rest!! If you’re sick, the best thing to do is listen to your body, no one knows your body like you do. Don’t go to the gym to try and train through it, grab your blankets, hot soups, tea and remote and watch Netflix and chill!
2. Vicks Vapour Rub!! Yep, this stuff is amazing, especially if your sinuses are stuffed. I rub some on my back, and put a teaspoon of some in a bowl with boiling hot water, drape a towel over my shoulders and inhale the vapour. I find it works great!! Or alternatively, soak a face cloth in hot water, rub in some Vicks, and lay down with your eyes closed inhaling it and warming your face.
3. Soups, bone broth, tea and bread. No one should ever have to feel like they have to give up eating bread because they want to lose weight, especially when you’re sick. Because the bread is full of carbs and fibre, it absorbs all the bugs and bacteria helping to a speedy recovery ❤ Bread is good for you in proportion!
4. Water!! I cannot stress this enough, if your water intake is not good enough, your urine will reflect it. The stronger smelling and more yellow it is, the more concentration of ammonia is in it, therefore less water. The clearer it is, the more hydrated your body is. Water is needed to flush your body, it is required to fuel energy, hydration is key.
5. Increase fruit and vegetable intake. This being soups, bone broths, juices and fruit. They all contain lots of fibres, vitamins, minerals and water that will only serve your body goodness.
6. Keep yourself warm. Layer your clothes, cover yourself in blankets and put on the fire. However, if you feel as though you’re freezing yet your skin is burning up and your face is red, you’ve got a really bad temperature. This could mean several things, my first advice in this case is seek medical help and attention and have a shower or bath.
I’m not exactly the biggest fan of winter, although everything still looks so beautiful, and all the mountains just glisten with their white peaks. I hope that this has been of some help to you, remember to stay hydrated, warm and increase your fruit and vegetable intake ❤
If you have any advice or tips please comment them below 😊